Re: Should /boot be ext2, instead of ext4?

On 9/4/2021 1:44 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 9/4/21 22:32, Hideki Yamane wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:33:37 +0200
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
This is bug #985463.
  If we can confirm no architecture has a limit to use ext2 now,
  then we can change it to ext4, right?

I may have missed some of the discussion, but if we are talking about a /boot partition, there is no good reason to change it to ext4. The performance advantages of a JFS just don't matter on a partition that seldom changes. Since ext2 can be read by any system that can read ext4, that also is not an issue. So why change?

If we are talking about a /boot directory that is part of a larger partition that contains other things that are regularly written to, that is a different case.

Bill Campbell

We should make a list with the bootloaders in use. Many architectures use
GRUB but some architectures use boot loaders that use blocklists so they
still may work with ext4.

Architectures that use GRUB are:

- amd64
- arm64
- i386
- ia64
- powerpc
- ppc64
- ppc64el
- riscv64 (not sure if supported on all boards)
- sparc64
- s390x (loaded from zIPL)
- x32

Other bootloaders are: