Re: Is _Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide_ current?

On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 09:46:47AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I wish to install Debian 10 on a laptop with no internet connectivity
> following instructions at
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.en.html#usb-copy-flexible
>
> The system I'm using to prepare the flash drive is running Debian 9.13 {the
> i386 flavor IIRC}
>
> It responds
> > root@defaultinstall:/home/richard# install-mbr /dev/sdc
> > install-mbr:/dev/sdc: Probable detection of modern MBR format which is currently
> > incompatible with install-mbr.  Installing will probably break Windows installations
> > on this system.  Use --force to override.
>
> Is this expected?
> TIA

The Debian install guide is probably correct - but don't do this.

Use the Linux laptop to dd the DVD to a USB stick. Boot from that.

Doing magic installing/copying files is far more error-prone. The message
you give may even be because of the USB stick format if it's a new stick.

Assuming that the new laptop is 64 bit capable, take a USB stick that's 8G
or greater and dd the amd64 DVD1 to it and boot from it assuming that the
laptop will do so. Likewise, on the new laptop, set it to use UEFI if it
will. You are likely to have fewer problems and MBR/Legacy boot will
probably disappear from all machines sometime during the life of Debian 11.

All best, as ever,

Andy C.