Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Sat, 24 Apr 2021 21:59:44 +0200):
> Hi,
>
> Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote (Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:44:58 +0200):
> > Would you be in a position to check a debian 10 install on the same
> > hardware, and fetch the dmesg output and /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
> > installation, as well as the list of installed packages (to understand
> > if firmware packages were installed somehow)?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And then maybe do the same with the bullseye RC1 image?
> >
> > Also can you confirm that just switching to another console and
> > installing the firmware package there was enough to fix the issue?
> >
> > I don't understand whether this is a regression from Debian 10 or not.
> > For example,
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=931436
> > was about the RC2 for the buster installer.
>
> I'm just installing Buster on that machine.
> Will collect data after that, and try Bullseye next.

Results:

Installing Buster (with GNOME DE) lead to a system failing to start X,
system hangs on the console, latest entry is "Starting GNOME Display Manager".
The needed firmware package (firmware-amd-graphics) was NOT installed.
Installing it makes GNOME UI start fine.

Installation of Bullseye was basically the same (installation completed
successfully, amd firmware package was NOT installed).
The difference: there was a small delay while starting up (~ 10 sec.), but
after that X and GNOME were starting fine.

So, on this hardware and with 'radeon' kernel module, everything would be
fine for Bullseye. No need for further action.
(I can deliver installation logs or whatever information, if needed, feel
free to ask.)
However, it's somewhat older hardware with 'radeon' module.
Thus it does not stand for the "amdgpu firmware problem", I fear.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076