Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

Hi Holger,

On 04/12/20 at 22:08 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after a test installation on an IBM thinkpad with radeon RV515/M52 graphics,
> I ended up with a "broken" system (Gnome login screen was not shown, instead
> there was the "boot-up screen" showing the starting services like
>
> 	[  OK  ] Started User Login Management.
> 	[  OK  ] Started Bluetooth service.
> 	[  OK  ] Started Network Manager.
> 	[  OK  ] Started Accounts Service.
> 	[  OK  ] Reached target sound card.
> 	         Starting GNOME Display Manager ...
>
> and somewhere at that point it hangs.
> No login possible from there!
>

> Problem was the missing firmware for the Radeon graphics card (package
> "firmware-amd-graphics"), similar to several other bugreports we had here in the
> past:

Would you be in a position to check a debian 10 install on the same
hardware, and fetch the dmesg output and /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
installation, as well as the list of installed packages (to understand
if firmware packages were installed somehow)?

And then maybe do the same with the bullseye RC1 image?

Also can you confirm that just switching to another console and
installing the firmware package there was enough to fix the issue?

I don't understand whether this is a regression from Debian 10 or not.
For example,
was about the RC2 for the buster installer.

Thanks

Lucas