Use isenkram to get around the firmware problem? [ Re: Manually add firmware (or other) packages for installation? ]

Hi,

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote (Sat, 27 Feb 2021 19:48:23 +0100):
> FWIW, I've been wondering whether trying to integrate isenkram could
> help here. I've never managed to allocate time for diving into it, but
> the amdgpu situation seems bad and common enough that it feels like an
> incentive important enough to force me to.

There has already been a small discussion regarding isenkram in 2017 here,
which lead to nothing, sadly...

I have played around with isenkram a bit, and while it looked promising on
the first glance (it has an 'isenkram-autoinstall-firmware' script, which could
just do what we want), it seems that isenkram has the same problem regarding
graphics cards as the installer itself: its detection is based on loaded
kernel modules.
But in the installer environment (during installation) we don't have those
kernel modules for graphics cards.
So, isenkram does not prompt for installing such firmware, when called inside
of the installer :-((
Petter: please correct me, if I am wrong here!

Since the usb.ids database is included into isenkram, I wonder if doing similar
for pci.ids could help us here?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076