Re: Issues with bullseye installer, graphics related

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:04:28AM +0100, Fab Stz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried to install testing/bullseye from DVD (image of 15/02/2021)
>
> I faced 2 problems related to graphics. This is in BIOS mode (didn't try in
> UEFI mode)

You state lower down that you needed to install amdgpu firmware. If there is
no data on the machine that you must keep and you can boot in UEFI mode: redo
the install with UEFI and see if this improves. "Modern" cards from the last
few years often require UEFI in subtle ways.

You may want to try the unofficial non-free installer at
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-dvd/
which includes firmware. Any firmware it doesn't include on the image itself can best be isntalled by adding the metapackages firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-misc-nonfree.

> - The GUI of the installer doesn't display well, it is completely weird in
> such a way it is not possible to understand what is displayed. Workaround for
> me was to add vga=794 or vga=791. I also faced that problem with buster
> installer.
>
> - At 1st bootup, the kernel says amdgpu firmware is missing. Then the system
> doesn't enter/start sddm (the GUI). I had to install the firmware manually to
> make it work.
> Actually the kernel also asked for r8168 firmware which I added too.
> Is the installer supposed to install them automatically ? (non-free packages
> were enabled at install time)

The standard installer has a step which asks whether non-free firmware needs
to be installed. At that point, you would install the firmware from a USB
stick or similar see https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

> System runs on Asus PRIME B450M-A Motherboard with AMD Athlon200GE CPU (with
> integrated Vega graphics = Raven 0x1002:0x15DD)
> Monitor is 17", max resolution 1280x1024
>
> I did accept "non-free" packages during setup since it is in apt/sources.list
>
> Do you think this is considered an issue or is it by design ? Should this be
> fixed ? Should I file a bugreport ? In this case towards which package ?
> "debian-installer" ?

Hope this helps, all the best

Andy