Re: Completely switch graphical installer to fonts-noto?

[ I am not subscribed: please cc me on replies ]

Quoting Cyril Brulebois (2020-03-28 18:09:51)
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2020-03-28):
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 05:52:26PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > >Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> (2020-03-27):

> > >Besides the first topic you mentioned, and the idea of putting all our
> > >eggs in the same basket (possibly meaning less maintenance for us,
> > >and/or maybe more pressure on the maintainers of a newly-critical
> > >component), the big question is what users will think of the changes.
> > >
> > >I suppose the best way to approach this would be to ask e.g. translators
> > >for each language to compare the rendering before/after, and have them
> > >tell us what they think (maybe by setting up a poll). I suspect this
> > >might be a rather time consuming task…
> >
> > Maybe just do it, and announce it as a big change for the next alpha
> > release?
>
> This would be an easy way to publish updated installation images for
> people to toy with, and compare with the previous alpha. And I think
> that'd be a sensible approach (at least that's what I had in mind).
>
> Gathering the results and drawing a conclusion is what worries me a
> little.

I understand your concern, and I agree that it makes sense to check with
native speakers of the languages involved.

My worry was how to make it easy to compare, and I think Holgers image
can help with that (I still need to fumble with it to see how best to
use it).

If I get something working, I will try share it with Debian friends in
India to try get a feel for how it might be sensible to proceed more
generally.  Or maybe I will simply take it one locale at a time, get in
touch with each, and have them help evaluate, just as you suggest :-)

[ I am not subscribed: please cc me on replies ]

 - Jonas