Re: Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk

On 3/18/20 11:43 AM, Justin B Rye wrote:
>> The majority of all users is able to perform the cognitive process to
>> that "hard disk" means "installation device" and "storage medium" here
>> is very confusing since that normally refers to a data disk and not
>> the system disk.
>
> The trouble with "hard disk" is that it refers to one particular kind
> of hardware, and users have no reason to expect debian-installer to be
> using the kind of metaphorical language that requires a special
> cognitive leap in the first place; so how are they going to know that
> it will in fact work on an SSD?

Yes, why shouldn't it? Most people still call it BIOS, despite EFI being
standard long time ago, fir example.

Our cars also don't have any dashboards anymore, TVs don't have screens,
radio isn't necessarily transmitted using "radiation" anymore and so
on and so forth.

I bet, if you do some research, you will find a large number of words
that are being used in contexts where they don't make much sense
anymore. Yet we keep using them for convenience purposes.

> I don't know what I'd suggest instead, but possibilities include:
>  "Install the GRUB boot loader to hardware"
>  "Install the GRUB boot loader on this system"
>  "Install the GRUB boot loader on the system disk"
>  "Install the GRUB boot loader to disk"
>  "Install the GRUB boot loader to a non-volatile storage device"

You also have to keep in mind that this needs to be translated
into other languages. I have the impression that a lot of these
discussions about deprecating apparently older terms revolve
around the English language only.
>> When are we going to replace "REWIND", "PAUSE", F. FWD", "PLAY" and
>> "RECORD" on playback devices since we are no longer dealing with tapes
>> and "re-cording" and "re-winding" does not actually reflect anymore
>> what's happening?
>
> "Record" and "cord" are etymologically unconnected, so the only dead
> metaphor in that list is "REWIND" - and why use that when you could
> use the self-explanatory standard ideogram "⏪"?

I don't think that's the case. Sony used to call their tape recorders
"tape corder" which is why all cassette decks started with a model
number "TC-".

> (Mind you, when I was first using a GNU/Linux desktop back in the
> nineties it took me *ages* to discover that the only way of getting a
> simple volume control knob was to pretend I was a professional DJ and
> search for a "mixer" application.  Nobody *starts* as an expert!)

Exactly. Terminology doesn't necessarily have to be self-explaining
but consistent. Don't forget that people also want to be able to
do some Google search when they have problems and unusual terminology
in Debian doesn't necessarily make it simpler.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz