Re: Dropping haveged from the installer

On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 08:13 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I've performed some tests to see how it
> would go. I've tried dropping haveged-udeb from pkg-lists and that seems
> to be working fine: there are no obvious delays with either the
> all-HTTPS scenario or the encrypted LVM one. I'm seeing the “random:
> crng init done” message after 23 or 52 seconds respectively, likely when
> the first entropy-needing operations are happening. Can you confirm this
> is the expected behaviour?
[...]

Yes, that's what I would expect.

However: I've just run a test where the initramfs script reads one byte
of /dev/random then reports the time and relevant log messages.  On
5.5, with random.trust_cpu=N, it still hangs for many minutes.
Eventually I stopped waiting and pressed keys, and that un-stuck it.
So I think the in-kernel entropy generator might not be reliable (yet).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humour is the best antidote to reality.