Re: Dropping haveged from the installer

Hey,

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2019-11-09):
> > Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2019-11-07):
> > > Linux 5.4 introduces an in-kernel jitter-entropy implementation
> > > for systems without a usable hardware RNG, which should remove the
> > > need for haveged.
> > >
> > > We could possibly cherry-pick that change on to 5.3, to avoid the
> > > need for further changes to haveged packaging.
> >
> > Oh, great.
> >
> > Feel free to either follow-up on this bug report once you have
> > backported it to 5.3, or alternatively once 5.4 trunk has reached
> > experimental, so that the switch away from haveged can be tested.
>
> This is included in 5.3.9-1, which is currently building.

I know it's been available for a while, but merging this right before
D-I Bullseye Alpha 2 feels a little wrong.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I've performed some tests to see how it
would go. I've tried dropping haveged-udeb from pkg-lists and that seems
to be working fine: there are no obvious delays with either the
all-HTTPS scenario or the encrypted LVM one. I'm seeing the “random:
crng init done” message after 23 or 52 seconds respectively, likely when
the first entropy-needing operations are happening. Can you confirm this
is the expected behaviour?

Next, I might try disabling the fc-cache trick at build time to see if
the kernel-level mechanism makes that a moot point as well (I would
assume it does, but I'd like to double check: this is happening rather
early in the boot sequence).

  https://debamax.com/blog/2018/05/25/debugging-black-screen-in-debian-installer/
  https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/commit/59e1a9af0ce29da7afb55aecce6d54094c3f214f

Cheers,