Re: boot-time accessibility issues

Rich Morin, le lun. 02 mars 2020 07:40:42 -0800, a ecrit:
> In another forum, I've been told that Orca is a rather heavyweight solution for providing boot-time speech generation.  It was recommended that I consider Fenrir, instead.

Fenrir is also quite heavy-weight, since it brings python. Brltty would
be much less heavy-weight (but still bring e.g. libicu)

> So, recasting my question, what would it take to make these changes to the default Debian installation?
>
> - include Fenrir, with some sort of key combination to activate it

On the Linux console there is currently no way to activate a program
through a key combination.

What is the installation use case, actually? Is it again the raspi case?
As mentioned previously the raspi team handles it, so it'd rather have
to be discussed with them.

> More generally, is there a better way to provide accessibility at boot time?

The question is how to detect that it is needed. We can't just install
and run a screen reader by default on all Debian systems, so something
needs to trigger the screen reader startup.

Samuel