Re: [installer] One more template change?

Holger Wansing wrote:
> Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In other words
>>
>>   You can select the priority of question you want to see:
>>    - 'critical': only questions that are essential for a successful installation
>>    - 'high': also questions for which the default often needs to be changed
>>    - 'medium': also questions for which the default sometimes needs to be changed
>>    - 'low': all questions, even if the default only rarely needs to be changed
>>
>> Or perhaps putting some words back in:
>>
>>   Please select the questions you want to be shown by priority level:
>>    * "critical": only show questions that are essential for a successful installation;
>>    * "high": also show questions for which the default often needs to be changed;
>>    * "medium": also show questions for which the default sometimes needs to be changed;
>>    * "low": show all questions, even if the default only rarely needs to be changed.
>
> What worries me here is, that the description for high, medium and low only differs
> in just ONE word/term ("often", "sometimes", "only rarely").
>
> I fear that users might get overstrained with finding the difference within the
> lines... ?

I don't know about you, but for me it's easier to find important
differences when everything else stays constant than when they're
hidden among various unimportant differences.

>> Some alternatives that people might like more than I do:
>>
>>   Please select the cutoff level for questions that you want to be asked:
>>    * "critical": only show questions that always require user attention;
>>    * "high": also show ones for which the default often needs changing;
>>    * "medium": also show ones for which the default sometimes needs changing;
>>    * "low": show all questions, even if the default only rarely needs changing.

>> [...]
>>
>> (I think that's a false-friend use of "actual". and it's definitely an
>> unidiomatic "would", though personally I wouldn't use "were" either.)
>>
>> I don't like this idea that it's "my" priority that's "high".  It
>> isn't even the installer's priority - it's the degree of filtering
>> applied to questions in *terms* of priority, and that's a horrible
>> thing to have to explain concisely.  Maybe we can just say:
>>
>>     For example, this question is of medium priority, so if you had chosen to see
>>     only questions of 'high' or 'critical' priority, it wouldn't be shown.
>
> That sounds good to me.

(Oh, would it be more consistent to put "medium" in quotes too?  How
are translators going to handle this?)