Re: d-i for current buster not buildable

Hello Cyril,

> Hi,
>
> Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> (2020-01-18):
>> I've tried to rebuild the current debian-installer for buster. But this
>> fails as without further modification the environment tries to get the
>> udebs from the unstable archive.
>
> d-i can definitely be built on buster, we do that regularly.

I'm sure you do this (and also for a long time successfully). :)
I've tried to follow the instructions from the wiki and also the README
on different machines / architectures and was always failing in case
I've chosen the buster branch.

>> I guess the reason is a small oversight to also change the variable
>> USE_UDEBS_FROM in build/config/common to the value 'buster' instead of
>> 'unstable'.
>
> Heuristics happen in debian/rules, see finalized vs. non-finalized
> changelog cases. I don't think we've ever changed build/config/common in
> the distribution branches, so I'm not sure I'd call that an oversight
> (compared to previous iterations of the exact same process). We could
> probably adopt the change anyway, though. I'll try to keep that in mind
> when I process (o)pu requests later on.

Thanks for consideration!
I've written an additional deeper explanation for my patch in my other
answer to Holger which you for sure also have seen.
I haven't followed the git history for more than about a year, it was
just a guess that the change I propose did happen in past too for the
other release names but not here for the buster release.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert