Re: d-i for current buster not buildable

Hello Holger,

thanks for your answer!

Am 18.01.20 um 23:27 schrieb Holger Wansing:
> As documented in the build/config/common file:
> - the "unstable" setting is the default

I can't follow you here, I don't see anything that there is a hard
default for all cases if I look at the additional notes for the variable
USE_UDEBS_FROM.

[from build/config/common, lines 55 to 57]
> # Define here from what release (codename!) components (udebs) should be taken
> # to build debian-installer. By default this is set to 'unstable' for building
> # daily images. For official builds this is overruled in debian/rules.

The only mentioning for a default value is in combination with 'daily
images'. And yes, in such a case of course we want to use unstable as
development is happen here.
But what I also see, there is a hint to the codename to use with a
exclamation mark! :)

> - for specific situations, this setting is overruled.

I disagree here on this generic wording if myself, or some other user,
wants to  rebuild the installer for buster e.g, this is no special case
for me, as this make no sense in this way. Why do I need to override a
variable instead of using the meaningful value for buster which will
never change over the whole lifetime of the buster release? And we are
Debian not some downstream distro which can and need to override this key.

As the installer is a complex thing and I haven't had any experiences
with this all it took me quite a while to find out why my attempts to
build all together aren't successful.
And I've read the README more than once!

I followed also the instructions from the wiki about to build the
installer for the target platform also on that platform

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

> First of all, debian-installer images should only be built in an
> environment that matches the version of the installer you want to
> build, so:>
>     * if you want to build the installer for development ...
>     * if you want to build D-I for a specific Debian release, e.g. for
>       the current stable release, your system needs to either be running
>       the current Debian stable release, or you need to create a chroot
>       that has the stable release.
Reading your answer again and again, I can't see the red line how your
answer is supplementing the existing docu. I simply was expecting that
fulfilling the above requirement will let me build the current version
of the installer buster just easily. And I think that's the expectation
of other users too.

(I normally can just live fine with the provided installer by Debian, on
my day job we need to rebuild the installer to test and use the VLAN
patches from #433568 [1] so I've run into this problem.)

> There are many approaches, where one might to need to build the installer
> for. So the default setting cannot fit them all.
>
> If you want to build for stable, this setting needs to be changed.
> See also https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

Sure this needs to get changed, but not manually by the users again and
again as then it's a useless default.
We are using git and git can handle various branches just fine. Thinking
forward into a direction of more automation for testing it makes not
really sense to set 'default' values manually as than the default is
went to absurd extremes.

So, I see two things in the end.
1. The documentation isn't up2date. Or
2. The used default isn't correct / useful.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/433568

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert