Re: d-i for current buster not buildable

Hi,

Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to rebuild the current debian-installer for buster. But this
> fails as without further modification the environment tries to get the
> udebs from the unstable archive.
>
> I guess the reason is a small oversight to also change the variable
> USE_UDEBS_FROM in build/config/common to the value 'buster' instead of
> 'unstable'.
>
> If I modify the config by this I can successful rebuild (and finally use
> of course) a netinstall for amd64 based on the buster branch of the
> debian-installer sources.
>
> Please see attached patch for details. Thanks. Let me know if I've
> overseen something here.
>
> PS: Please keep me CC, I'm not subscribed to the list.

As documented in the build/config/common file:
- the "unstable" setting is the default
- for specific situations, this setting is overruled.

There are many approaches, where one might to need to build the installer
for. So the default setting cannot fit them all.

If you want to build for stable, this setting needs to be changed.
See also https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

Thus, probably it does not make much sense to change the default, as in
your patch.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076