Re: netcfg: proposal for template change

Holger Wansing wrote:
> I would like to propose a change on a template in netcfg:
[...]
>   The IP address you provided is malformed. It should be in the form
> - x.x.x.x where each 'x' is no larger than 255 (an IPv4 address), or a
> - sequence of blocks of hexadecimal digits separated by colons (an IPv6
> + x.x.x.x where each 'x' is an integer not larger than 255 (for an IPv4 address), or
> + xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx each 'xxxx' being a block of hexadecimal digits (for an IPv6
>   address). Please try again.

Pedantically I think there ought to be commas around

                                           , each 'xxxx' being a block of hexadecimal digits,

- or you could repeat the phrasing as "where each 'xxxx' is a block of
hexadecimal digits".

> I would like to make the description of the format more clearer, especially
> the IPv6 variant does not give much detailed information.
> If you typed a malformed IPv6 address, that message does not give you much
> help, how it should look like ...
>
> Any comments/objections?
>
> debian-l10n-english in CC for review, too.

I can see why you might want to make the descriptions of dotted quads
and colonic octopoids more closely parallel, but is it really useful
to give this much advice and no more?  Users have already been warned
"if you don't know what to use here, consult your network
administrator"; if they're seeing this error because they tried typing
in "0.0.0.0", the rules given won't help them find an address they can
use.  It might be better to simplify in the general direction of

    The value you provided is not a usable IPv4 or IPv6 address.
    Please consult your network administrator and try again.