Re: Graphical installer on arm64

On 06/01/2020 23:48, andreimpopescu@gmail.com wrote:
Ok, will look into it at some point. It seems Arch have a working kernel
for it.

Yeah, they have board-specific kernels built from Chrome OS sources. Those could be a starting point, but other people might have tried first and have more up-to-date elm-specific kernel patches (linux-oak covers elm, is at v3.18).

Would testing on PINE A64+ be useful as well? It's supported pretty well
out of the box with 5.4 in Debian.

I'd appreciate it if you could. To be complete, I just tried generating an installer image and these are what I had to do:

- git clone debian-installer [1]
- cd debian-installer
- dpkg-checkbuilddeps
- cd build
- make build_netboot build_device-tree

The outputs go to a dest/ directory. That netboot image should be already working, you can try booting it to check that you can correctly build working images. To build the graphical version, I did:

- git am enable-arm64-netboot-gtk.patch [2]
- git am -C0 add-missing-arm64-netboot-modules.patch [2]
- edit 'pkg-lists/netboot/arm64.cfg'
  - comment-out the 'serial-modules-${kernel:Version}' line
- edit 'pkg-lists/netboot/gtk/arm64.cfg'
  - add 'event-modules-${kernel:Version}' anywhere
- make build_netboot-gtk build_device-tree

This time the installer outputs to dest/netboot/gtk/.

(I missed serial-modules in my first email since I had removed some more modules to fit into chromebook size limits, and I assumed I had removed it for that reason.)

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer.git
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2019/01/msg00183.html