Re: Graphical installer on arm64

On 05/01/2020 23:30, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
I'd be interested to test this on the Acer Chromebook R13 (elm).

Where / how do I start?

From what I can find on the internet: it doesn't look like mainline Linux works on elm yet and Debian arm64 kernel doesn't even have CONFIG_ARCH_MEDIATEK (and probably more CONFIGs that would be necessary for elm) enabled. You'd need to get the Debian-built kernel to run on your hardware first.

So I'm assuming you're running a custom kernel. I guess you could build an installer image with that but it would be an alternative to these changes, i.e. would not test them :) . I don't know how exactly that experiment would go. See d-i [1] for how to build installer images in general.

Anyway, your roadmap to getting Debian and Debian installer running would be roughly:
- Get mainline Linux working on elm
- Enable necessary CONFIGs in the Debian Linux source package
- Make sure initramfs-tools includes essential modules for booting elm
- Add those modules to udeb packaging lists in Linux source package
- (Do a lot of chromebook-specific work that I'm also doing)

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I can't help with the mainlining part. But if you or anyone else gets past that I could give pointers about the rest.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i/