Re: bullseye alpha3: graphical installer activated for arm64

On 07/12/2020 23:23, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Alper Nebi Yasak <alpernebiyasak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've tried debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-arm64-netinst.iso on a QEMU VM, the
>> gtk installer refused to run with less than 578MiB (falling back to
>> newt). I could successfully go through the rest of the gtk installer
>> with that much (English, priority=low), though I'm not sure if that's
>> enough for everything.
>
> Yes, we had reports in the past, where it failed in a later installation
> step (I think it was partitioning). So I guess, we could go with something
> like 640MB as the minimum setting (including some reserve).

Probably. (I don't really know much about measuring RAM requirements.)

>> Probably not tested enough to call it stable, but functionality-wise
>> I think almost everything is in place. It's likely that the graphics
>> won't work on some devices since their display modules might not be in
>> the fb-modules udeb.
>
> Hmm, that smells like some potential for problems :-)
> Maybe we could call it a "preview", if "experimentell" is a bit harsh?

Sounds OK to me. Things should hopefully get better as more people test
on their devices and report in. :)

>> In the GRUB menu it shows "Install" in the first place and "Graphical
>> Install" in the second, so I think the character-based is the default
>> for now.
>
> Ok, that's important info. I will change the paragraph accordingly.
> (BTW: this fact could second the "preview"/"experimentell" state from above,
> in the eyes of the users... ?)

I think that's more related to the use-cases of the devices. AFAICT,
most people are used to connecting to arm* devices over serial/ssh, but
that's slowly changing as more arm64 laptops (or maybe even desktops?)
get less niche.