Re: bullseye alpha3: graphical installer activated for arm64

On 06/12/2020 23:11, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read in alpha3 release-notes about the activation of the graphical
> installer for arm64.
>
> This needs to be documented in the installation-guide then.
>
> I have prepared a first patch for this, attached.
>
> There are two points remaining open:
> 	- needed RAM: what is the minimal required RAM size for the use of
>           the graphical installer (minimum_memory_gtk in the patch) ?

I've tried debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-arm64-netinst.iso on a QEMU VM, the
gtk installer refused to run with less than 578MiB (falling back to
newt). I could successfully go through the rest of the gtk installer
with that much (English, priority=low), though I'm not sure if that's
enough for everything.

> 	- status of the graphical installer: is this considered stable, or
> 	  do we want to call this "experimentell" for now?

Probably not tested enough to call it stable, but functionality-wise
I think almost everything is in place. It's likely that the graphics
won't work on some devices since their display modules might not be in
the fb-modules udeb.

> +</para><para condition="arm-gtk">
> +
> +For this architecture the &d-i; supports two different user interfaces: a
> +graphical one and a character-based one. The graphical interface is
> +used by default unless you select an <quote>Install</quote>
> +option in the boot menu. For more information about the
> +graphical installer, please refer to <xref linkend="graphical"/>.

In the GRUB menu it shows "Install" in the first place and "Graphical
Install" in the second, so I think the character-based is the default
for now.