Re: "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide" needs broader choice of examples

On 06/09/2020 01:24 PM, Holger Wansing wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
I need to do a very atypical install.
It needs exactly one parameter to be pre-seeded.
I wish to set it at the boot prompt.

An overview is given at
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/i386/apbs02.en.html#preseed-auto
which in turn leads to
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/i386/ch05s01.en.html#boot-screen
which says in part:
If you wish or need to add any boot parameters for either the installer
or the kernel, press Tab (BIOS boot), or e then down arrow three times
then end (UEFI boot). This will bring the boot command for the selected
menu entry and allow you to edit it to suit your needs.

However I can find no examples of what that line would look like after
entering the pre-seeded parameter. The value I wish to use is:
d-i base-installer/install-recommends boolean false

It's fairly well documented in
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/apbs02.html#preseed-bootparms

And for your specific wishes, there is also an alias, see
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/apbs02.html#preseed-aliases

So you should be done with simply adding
	"recommends=false"
to the said line.

Holger

Thank you. I thought I understood what you just said. But just tried my interpretation of what you said and got a result that didn't make sense. I'm very tired, so suspect human error. Will try again in the morning.