Re: Completely switch graphical installer to fonts-noto?

Hi,

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> [ I am not subscribed: please cc me on replies ]
>
> Quoting Cyril Brulebois (2020-03-28 18:09:51)
> > Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2020-03-28):
> > > Hey folks,

> > > Maybe just do it, and announce it as a big change for the next alpha
> > > release?
> >
> > This would be an easy way to publish updated installation images for
> > people to toy with, and compare with the previous alpha. And I think
> > that'd be a sensible approach (at least that's what I had in mind).
> >
> > Gathering the results and drawing a conclusion is what worries me a
> > little.
>
> I understand your concern, and I agree that it makes sense to check with
> native speakers of the languages involved.
>
> My worry was how to make it easy to compare, and I think Holgers image
> can help with that (I still need to fumble with it to see how best to
> use it).
>
> If I get something working, I will try share it with Debian friends in
> India to try get a feel for how it might be sensible to proceed more
> generally.  Or maybe I will simply take it one locale at a time, get in
> touch with each, and have them help evaluate, just as you suggest :-)

I would have created various screenshots, from the original and the new
installer screens. However, if you are volunteering for that... ;-))

Contacting active translators seems the less problematic part, however we
have several languages with no active translators currently.
Those will probably become the more critical parts to evaluate, especially
if it comes to non-latin scripts...

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076