Re: pxe booting qemu

On 23 Sep 2019 at 20:25, john doe wrote:

> > I already have the preseed file working, for now, I do install Debian
> > from a usb key and at the boot prompt I fetch the preseed file from http
> > with something like:
> >
> > boot: auto console=ttyS0,115200n8 interface=auto url=<host-name>
> >
> > The all purpous of this is to avoid having to type the above line
> > everytime I install Debian! :)
> > Actually, I'm stuck at this very step, How do I go from having my boot
> > media from the network?
> >

> I have installed 'apt-cacher-ng' and and use that local mirror in the
> preseed file.
>
> Now I need to understand how to add those argument:
>
> console=ttyS0,115200n8 interface=auto url=tftp://<HOST-NAME>/x.cfg
>
> The first step is to avoid having to type the above arguments and make
> that the default If I don't select anything.
>
> I'll also would like to thanks all the participent in this thread your
> intput/help is valuable.

...well those arguments should be entered at the "kernel command
line", which is a slightly misleading name for "someplace in your
bootloader". Often you just append them on the same line after
specifying an initrd file.
What bootloader do you have on your USB key?
Grub? Syslinux? Or something different?
You can even make a DOS-bootable USB stick and put syslinux or
grub4dos on top of that.
Look for the bootloader's configuration. With Grub, this used to be
menu.lst or grub.cfg, with syslinux it might be syslinux.cfg, or some
such.
BTW if your goal is to kick-start a Debian installation that will
download as much as possible from the network, and you can configure
your own bootloader on a USB stick, you may as well download just the
netinstall kernel and initrd (as described in my previous e-mail),
put them on the USB stick and tell the bootloader about them...

Frank