Re: modifying a font for the Debian installer

Hi,

Bobby de Vos <bobby_devos@sil.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am maintaining the package fonts-sil-abyssinica, and noticed that the
> current packaging (done by someone other than myself, so I am trying to
> learn what is needed)
>
> - produces a udeb so the font can be used by the Debian installer
> - modifies the font for the installer by removing many Latin characters,
> presumably to save space.
>
> The remove of some of the Latin characters is done with FontForge, which
> (unless some extra steps are taken) does not make for a reproducible build.
>
> https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/rb-pkg/unstable/amd64/fonts-sil-abyssinica.html
>
> Other SIL fonts that are used in the Debian installer, such as
> - fonts-sil-padauk
> - fonts-sil-scheherazade
> do not modify the font for the Debian installer.
>
> So I have some questions
> - Is modifying the font still needed for the installer?
> - If needed, why modify abyssinica and not something like padauk?
> - If needed, is there a better script to use?
>
> The thread that started this issue is at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-fonts/2019/09/msg00033.html

maybe I'm wrong here, but I fear that all people involved in this
"stripped fonts" thingy are no longer active here, so I'm unsure what the
outcome on this here can be...

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076