Re: installation guide [Was: Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2 ]

Holger Wansing wrote:
>> This is a good solution for a problem that also affects the
>> Installation Guide, since it also lets you leapfrog over the old
>> problem of what cover-term to use for "CD/DVD/BluRay media" (the
>> Guide says that it's going to use "CD-ROM", then doesn't - #794936).
>
> I have applied similar changes to the installation-guide now, at
> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/installation-guide/commit/64ccfd502a27181f3f1b9cf2254fdc9836710493

Unfortunately it has a good few unidiomatic uses of "medium".

(In en/appendix/chroot-install.xml:)
  - If you have a &releasename; &debian-gnu; CD mounted at
  + If you have a &releasename; &debian-gnu; installation medium mounted at
    <filename>/cdrom</filename>, you could substitute a file URL instead
    of the http URL: <userinput>file:/cdrom/debian/</userinput>

In English, "a medium" means a *category* of information-propagating
mechanism (such as radio or print), not one individual USB thumbdrive
or whatever.  That would have to be an "item of media" or similar; but
then again isn't it also true to say that the *image* is mounted on
the /cdrom mountpoint?

In en/boot-installer/parameters.xml:
   By default, before rebooting, &d-i; automatically ejects the optical
   media used during the installation. This can be unnecessary if the system
 - does not automatically boot off the CD. In some cases it may even be
 + does not automatically boot off such disc. In some cases it may even be
   undesirable, for example if the optical drive cannot reinsert the media
   itself and the user is not there to do it manually. Many slot loading,
   slim-line, and caddy style drives cannot reload media automatically.

"Such" plus singular doesn't work like that in English.  Here I'd
rephrase it as just "if the system will not automatically boot off
it", but in other cases you need "such a...".  "Such media" is okay,
though!

(in en/boot-installer/trouble.xml:)
 - Configure network:      [ ]
 - Detect CD:
 - Load installer modules: [ ]
[...]
 + Configure network:          [ ]
 + Detect installation medium: [ ]
 + Load installer modules:     [ ]

I'd recommend just "Detect media:" - after all, the question is
whether it *ever* succeeded on *any* try, right?

(in en/boot-installer/x86.xml:)
 - obtain CD-ROM/DVD-ROM<phrase condition="bootable-usb"> or USB memory
 - stick</phrase> installation media as described in
 + obtain installation media as described in
   <xref linkend="official-cdrom"/><phrase condition="bootable-usb"> respective
   <xref linkend="boot-usb-files"/></phrase> or

Not a flaw in your patch, but that use of "respective" is horribly
ungrammatical in English... it's hard to tell what it *should* be here
without more context, but usually the answer is either "or" or
nothing.

(en/howto/installation-howto.xml:)
   Now sit back while debian-installer detects some of your hardware, and
 - loads the rest of itself from CD, USB, etc.
 + loads the rest of itself from the installation medium.

"Medium" is the wrong thing, "item of media" would be very clunky, and
we can't get away with plural "media" because you can't sit back if
you're swapping discs, so this is a tricky one.  Maybe it could say:

   loads the rest of the installation image.

(en/install-methods/official-cdrom.xml:)
 - By far the easiest way to install &debian-gnu; is from an Official
 - &debian; CD/DVD-ROM Set. You can buy a set from a vendor (see the
 + By far the easiest way to install &debian-gnu; is from a set of official
 + &debian; installation images. You can buy a set of CD/DVD from a vendor (see the

A new and different number-agreement glitch: "set of CDs/DVDs".

 [...]
 - detailed instructions). If you have a &debian; CD/DVD set and CDs/DVDs are
 + detailed instructions). If you have such optical installation media and those media are
   bootable on your machine<phrase arch="x86">, which is the case on all

"Such" works here, but "those media" is a bit wobbly.  I'd shorten it to

   detailed instructions). If you have such optical installation media, and they are

 [...]
 - If you don't have a CD set, then you will need to download the
 + If you don't have a installation media set, then you will need to download the

A nice easy-to-fix one here: that's *an* installation media set.

I was planning to carry on and find all the other places where fixes
are needed, but I'll have to come back to it.