Re: Request add hibmc_drm into buster aarch64 netboot image

On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 13:39 +0800, She Kairui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian buster on to the Huawei Kunpeng arm64 server,
> found that the installation graphic output not show up via the server BMC
> virtual console.
>
> Because Huawei  Kunpeng arm64 server BMC chip is hibmc, the OS need
> hibmc_drm.ko to work with it, currently this kernel module is not included
> in the netboot initrd (
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/20190702+deb10u1/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz)
> .

This module isn't even enabled in the kernel package for unstable yet!

> I have verified the BMC virtual console graphic output works well by adding
> hibmc_drm.ko into the netboot initrd.  Could you please help evaluating add
> the hibmc_drm udeb into the netboot initrd by default?
> Thanks

The selection of drivers to included in is mostly done through the
kernel package, not the installer packages.

Please open a bug against "src:linux" requesting that this driver is
built and included in the installer.  We'll fix it unstable first, and
can then possibly fix it in an update to buster.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.