Exploring the Debian installer

The Debian Installer does an excellent job of "delivering maximum functionality for the widest possible audience".

I wish to do very customized installs.
They might be described as "minimalist - think not requiring anything beyond a IBM PC/XT or PC/AT. Also, when exploring options, I may do multiple installs from scratch in a single day.

My introduction to Linux was Debian Squeeze. I found preseeding could handle the many of my needs.

[1] Where my might I find an exhaustive list of questions which may be preseeded?

Also, at the time, it was suggested that exploring debootstrap would be valuable for some of my applications. I need to re-read the debootstrap documentation.

To better frame questions I should ask myself when reading that documentation, I need some ideas of the installer's what, why, and how. Due to bandwidth constraints, I have always used DVD1 of the appropriate release.

[2] What source modules should I be looking at?

At this time I do not believe I need to go any deeper that the code that asks the user questions and launching appropriate routine in response.

TIA