keyboard...) and the
console always shows a bunch of repeating messages from the audio driver
if you log in. (Annotation: I read at digitec.ch that Audio does not work on Linux, but that's another problem)
Am 22.08.2019 um 10:37 schrieb tails-bugs@boum.org:
On 21/08/2019 19:23, tails-bugs@boum.org wrote:
From: Peter Guhl <peter.guhl@fhsstudents.ch> To:
"tails-support-private@boum.org" <tails-support-private@boum.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 17:22:50 +0000
Is this the screen saver, or just "going black" ?
The lock screen seems to be activated, but the screen goes black
immediately. A few seconds
later, the power LED goes off. Not only in the desktop but also in the
text console.
I tried to turn of screen auto locking, but the pane in the system
settings is grayed out so I can’t turn it off.
Just to be sure, you mean, in power settings, "blank screen" (by
default is 5 minutes) timeout setting is gray, or another setting ?
It's the privacy settings dialog. The first option is gray. Screen auto
lock can't turned off. Neither
does gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false have
any effect.
By the way, is your graphic card listed here:
https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/graphics/
It's listed since everything Intel ever made is kind of listed. But I
tried the workaround options
with the following results:
- nomodeset: The resolution is low and the desktop only loads halfways.
I have the top-right
controls to some extent, but never get the application menu or the
desktop icons. In the GUI
the blank screen does not occur. Maybe because of nomodeset but maybe
just because the gnome
screensaver isn't really functional anyway.
- xorg-driver without nomodeset:
 - xorg-driver=intel: Normal startu including the bug described
  - xorg-driver=vesa: Error starting GDM with your graphics card: Intel
Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series
PCI Configuration Registers [8086:22b0]... + screen going blank every 20
seconds or so. --> apparently no VESA mode
  - xorg-driver=modesetting: Normal startup including the bug described
- nomodeset + xorg-driver=vesa: gdm can't start. Same error-screen as
without the nomodeset
My conclusion is that either it's *not* the graphics diver's fault or it
is *so faulty* that none
of the workarounds make a real difference.
It could be a good test to see if Debian Live has the same issue,
Tails is based on that so it can help us to know and be sure if the
issue is specific to Tails. If you can try this, it would be very
helpful to us.
I'll test the 4.0 beta first. I only have one USB-stick ready right now
so switching OSes
is a bit time consuming.
If you are interested in testing, you can also test the upcoming
version of Tails, if you do, please let us know if the bug you've
encountered is still there. https://tails.boum.org/news/test_4.0-beta1/
Here we go:
- GUI not really starting. Neither in normal mode nor in trouble
shooting mode. GDM error
message.
- Console seems to work but I don't know the password to log in.
- Screen does not get turned off. The background light stays on. But if
GDM does not get up
at all this is probably normal
- Normal mode with nomodeset: Not booting into any GUI. Just black
screen with underscore
in the top-left corner. Occasional GDM error message as stated above
when switching through
the ttys.
- Normal mode with xorg-driver=intel: Same error as the stable version.
Normal boot into GUI
but constantly turning off the screen. But when I tried to get back into
the desktop
the application menu and the desktop icons were missing and the
top-right dropdown did not
contain the settings icon anymore. So this was the "nomodeset"-situation
3.15 with a better
screenresolution and the turning-screen-off-bug.

I'd say the 4.0 beta is even worse. It combined everything and can't
even boot without
special boot parameters.

For the Debian live test I'll use
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.0.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-gnome+nonfree.iso
since I do not expect
any official vanilla debian to runn smoothly on such a cheap
supermarket-computer brand like
Medion. Those are, for sure, the cheapest China standard boards not
caring if there's free
documentation available.

The results: The same bug. Turning the screen off (screen black,
backlight off, power LED off)
after just a few seconds.

--> The bug is in Debian live. Now I have to write everything again and
send it to Debian

Regards

Peter Guhl