Re: RFC: Make dh_makeshlibs auto-detect udebs in common cases

Cyril Brulebois:
> [...]
> Clarifying what I meant in the rest:
>
>>> While I'm of course fine with the idea of automating what can be
>>> automated,
>
> == your patch
>
>>> I think I'd be happier to also see some hint somewhere for
>>> maintainers who wish to drop the --add-udeb, e.g. checking the
>>> resulting SHLIBS before/after the change…
>
> == a word of caution, warning, or “hint” in the documentation would be
> appreciated, to prevent the “blind change” effect from happening.
>
>> Sure, but I do not think it will be worth it to automate such a hint.
>
> I was really thinking about documentation, sorry if that wasn't clear.
>

> Cheers,

I completely missed that you were asking for changes to the documention.
 Apologies for my part of the confusion.

Would the following the following do (in the man page under the new
paragraph)?
"""
If you previously used B<--add-udeb> and is considering to migrate to
using the auto-detection new auto-detection feature in 12.3, then
please remember to test that the resulting F<DEBIAN/shlibs> files are
as expected.  There are some known corner cases, where the
auto-detection is insufficient.  These include when the udeb contains
library files from multiple regular deb packages or when the packages
do not follow the expected naming convention.
"""

Thanks,
~Niels