Re: RFC: Make dh_makeshlibs auto-detect udebs in common cases

Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> (2019-07-20):
> So far, I have tested systemd and cdebconf (the latter after your
> mail), which have both been bit-for-bit identical with and without the
> --add-udeb.
>
> I am ok with expanding my tests up to 5 packages (incl. systemd and
> cdebconf, which I already tested).  This would cover about 5% of all
> packages with --add-udeb.  If we limit the remaining tests to the
> "will probably work"-cases below, then I will cover about 10% of that
> bucket.
>
> Would that cover your concern about test coverage?

I was merely pointing out that 1 test on a single package doesn't say much
about the rest. I didn't intend to demand you do extra work.

Clarifying what I meant in the rest:

> > While I'm of course fine with the idea of automating what can be
> > automated,

== your patch

> > I think I'd be happier to also see some hint somewhere for
> > maintainers who wish to drop the --add-udeb, e.g. checking the
> > resulting SHLIBS before/after the change…

== a word of caution, warning, or “hint” in the documentation would be
appreciated, to prevent the “blind change” effect from happening.

> Sure, but I do not think it will be worth it to automate such a hint.

I was really thinking about documentation, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Cheers,