Bug#926903: Installation-report addition
- To: Ben Hutchings <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Bug#926903: Installation-report addition
- From: Tom Thekathyil <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 07:32:35 +1000
- Message-id: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Tom Thekathyil <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Thanks for trying to help. You will note from my original report as
well as the follow-up on 28 April that I had installed the
'firmware-amd-graphics' package and still get the error message.
# apt search firmware-amd-graphics
> firmware-amd-graphics/testing, now 201901 14-1 all [installed]
# whereis firmware-amd-graphics
Despite above response I am able to install and remove the package
easily. But it makes no visible difference to the graphics or to
dmesg error message.
Changing to a less ancient monitor has helped center the screen but
there still remains the problem of font size:
a) tty1-6 use large fonts
b) MATE Terminal font size is normal
c) XTerm & UXTerm has small windows and small font
d) emacs and pluma have normal fonts
I can live with all these but it would be nice to get to the root of
the problem. I expect you might like to fix it before stable release.
Regards, Tom Thekathyil
On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 12:49 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 10:51 +1000, Tom Thekathyil wrote:
> > Hi Geert,
> > Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
> > Your suggestion it could be a monitor problem provided the clue it
> > could be the 11-year old model used (Acer X223w) that was causing the
> > problem. Swapped for a more current unit (Dell U2414H) and screen is
> > nicely centered now.
> > That still leaves the problem why dmesg shows
> > '[ 1.349124] [drm:amdgpu_pci_probe [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu
> > requires firmware installed]'
> > Which firmware?
> The firmware-amd-graphics package.
PO Box 76, St. Helens, TAS 7216, Australia - Ph: 61 3 6373 6191
GnuPG Public Key 0xD8F45B65