Re: When shadow passwords are disabled it is not possible to login as root after install

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, at 12:54, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> To be honest, I can't think of a reason why we even offer a non-shadow
> system. Anyone?

Well, IMHO that option is still there to ensure we will have a zero-tested path (because almost no one uses it), that goes against every modern best practice involving passwords (not so much if you are doing something special that does away with pam_unix, but that's out of scope for the installer anyway).

I.e. IMHO we should consider fixing this for good by removing the possibility of a shadow-less install on the first place.

It might have been useful 15 years ago. Maybe. Nowadays, to have it on the installer is just a pitfall as far as I am concerned :(

--
  Henrique Holschuh