Re: When shadow passwords are disabled it is not possible to login as root after install

Hi Lukasz,

Lukasz Golonka <wulfryk1@gmail.com> (2019-04-20):
> First of all sorry if this list isn't an appropriate place for this
> post but I am not using Debian very often and therefore I am not
> familiar with the proper bug reporting procedures.

Some pointers can be found here:
  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

We have a specific tool to help with installation reports:
  https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/ch05s04.html.en#problem-report

but contacting us on debian-boot@ for this specific issue is sufficient
because there's already a bug report for it (see below).

> I've performed install of Debian Buster RC1 using image downloaded
> from
> https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/cdimage/buster_di_rc1/amd64/iso-cd/debian-buster-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso
> during install switched debconf priority to low but kept most settings
> at default.  The only exception was answering no when asked about
> usage of shadow passwords. I have enabled login as root during
> install, but after the system is installed it is not possible to login
> as Root. To ensure that it is caused by switching shadow passwords of
> I've installed again keeping them enabled and logging as Root worked.
> This bug was present ad least since Wheezy that was last Debian
> version which I was seriously using and I just wanted to check if it
> is still there. From my quick googling it appears that no one reported
> it before. So is it really a bug or  is it supposed to work that way?

This was filed a while ago, but it seems nobody worked on it yet:
  https://bugs.debian.org/722627

Cheers,