Re: RfC: New LVM volume size restriction prompt

Hi,

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> On 2018-08-20 00:44, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 02:08:06PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> >> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-auto-lvm/merge_requests/1/diffs?commit_id=ac7bdd5b4e3cbeec24c7ecdd5e96f8fcfa7b9ee1
> >> aims to import a patch from Ubuntu to introduce an additional prompt
> >> to the
> >> guided LVM setup that asks about how much of the LVM volume group to
> >> fill up.
> >> I've attached a screenshot of the question. It's asked at high
> >> priority right
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Question 1: Is it ok to introduce this prompt? I think it's valuable
> >> to ask
> >> as resizing after the fact is annoying. And it defaults to the full
> >> volume
> >> group, which is the current behavior.
> >
> > While I understand that some people don't like adding extra questions,
> > I think this one makes sense. This feature looks like an obviously
> > good thing to add, and I've seen quite a few people ask about this
> > over the last few years. Code looks good, particularly if it's
> > borrowed straight from Colin's code in Ubuntu.
>
> Ok, thanks!
>
> >> Question 2: Is sublevel 3 the right one for this question? It does
> >> come with
> >> Ubuntu's set of translations already. I hope that those are ok to
> >> import as
> >> well.
> >
> > Pass, no idea...
>
> I have uploaded it now. I suppose we can still fix it after the fact if
> it's wrong.

I have triggered a l10n-sync run on dillon, to sync the new strings to
the translators material.
And sadly it did not work as expected: the l10n-sync script apparently does
not assume, that translations are inserted into the po files in the
partman-auto-lvm tree.

Its assumptions are:
1.
the english phrases are inserted by the package maintainer into the package
tree (in this case partman-auto-lvm tree), and are synced by the l10n-sync
script to the po/sublevelx structure in
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i/commits/master
which is the material, translators are working on.
2.
Then the translated phrases are added (from the translators) to the
po/sublevelx structure and are later synced back to the partman-auto-lvm
tree.

Means we have no translated strings at the moment in GIT :-(

Another glitch is, that one string
---snip-----
#. Type: string
#. Description
#. :sl3:
#: ../partman-auto-lvm.templates:11001
#, no-c-format
msgid ""
"Hint: \"max\" can be used as a shortcut to specify the maximum size, or "
"enter a percentage (e.g. \"20%\") to use that percentage of the maximum size."
msgstr ""
is not synced to translators material at all.
Don't know why ATM.

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .