Re: Install on remote KVM?

On 12/08/18 01:37, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-08-12 at 00:25 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 12/08/18 00:16, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>> On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 22:58 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> OK, so you're only providing the netinst ISO?  Somehow I got the
>>> impression that you were providing a separate initramfs.  Sorry for the
>>> irrelevant answer.

>>> It's both!  libvirt can provide (through QEMU) an emulated CD drive
>>> attached to an Intel PATA controller, Intel SATA controller, LSI Logic
>>> SCSI controller or virtio SCSI controller.  I've just verified that the
>>> installer works for all of the first three options, but not virtio.
>>>
>>> If there's an option to configure the CD drive to be attached through
>>> one of the other controllers, you should choose that.  But we should
>>> also add virtio drivers to the standard installer initramfs.
>>
>> Great, thanks heaps for all that effort.
>>
>> I don't think there's (currently) a way to attach it differently (though
>> I could request that, and they well might do it - which might help
>> people who want to install other distros too).
>>
>> But in the meantime, can I tell the installer to download a different
>> initramfs which will work? Or does one of the other installer ISOs (ie
>> not the netinst ones) come with a suitable initramfs?
>
> I can see two options:
>
> - Rebuild the standard installer with virtio-modules included, and then
>   rebuild the netinst ISO image
> - Build an ISO image from the netboot installer
>
> But neither of those are easy unless you're already familiar with the
> process.

Thanks Ben.

After a bit more research, I figured the stretch 'mini.iso' from the
netboot tree might do the job, since it downloads everything and doesn't
need to read the CD after boot.

That did appear to work - but the resulting system unfortunately didn't
boot. I suspect that has more to do with the way the VPS is set up,
though - I don't think the grub that's trying to boot it is the same one
that I installed, and it got confused, giving me an Error 14, something
to do with a file too big to read. Grub legacy trying to read grub2
stuff perhaps? Anyway, probably off-topic here.

Thanks,
Richard