Re: Install on remote KVM?

On 12/08/18 00:16, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 22:58 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> [...]
>> I'm mostly familiar with the netinst image, and it's what I generally
>> use to install on real hardware.
>>
>> I'm less familiar with netboot, but have used it for PXE installs (right?)
>>
>> What I'm missing is how I can use either of them on a remote KVM VPS,
>> where I get to see the boot process on some kind of remote console, and
>> I have the opportunity to provide a bootable ISO, but not much else.
>>
>> I've tried providing the netinst ISO, and it boots but can't find itself
>> for installing packages.
>
> OK, so you're only providing the netinst ISO?  Somehow I got the
> impression that you were providing a separate initramfs.  Sorry for the
> irrelevant answer.
>
>> Is that a matter of the appropriate storage drivers not being included,
>> or is it the way the VPS provider set up the virtual CD?
>
> It's both!  libvirt can provide (through QEMU) an emulated CD drive
> attached to an Intel PATA controller, Intel SATA controller, LSI Logic
> SCSI controller or virtio SCSI controller.  I've just verified that the
> installer works for all of the first three options, but not virtio.
>
> If there's an option to configure the CD drive to be attached through
> one of the other controllers, you should choose that.  But we should
> also add virtio drivers to the standard installer initramfs.

Great, thanks heaps for all that effort.

I don't think there's (currently) a way to attach it differently (though
I could request that, and they well might do it - which might help
people who want to install other distros too).

But in the meantime, can I tell the installer to download a different
initramfs which will work? Or does one of the other installer ISOs (ie
not the netinst ones) come with a suitable initramfs?

Thanks,
Richard