Re: task-laptop dependencies

On Tue, 2018-05-22 at 17:41 -0700, crawlspace@riseup.net wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian 9.4 on my laptop WITHOUT a "desktop
> environment" but giving the default answers to all the other questions.
>
> I figured out how to deal with the lack of ifconfig after the
> installation, but trying to find and connect to a wifi network still
> produces errors including the phrase "Operation not possible due to
> RF-kill."

The expectation is that if you install the desktop task you will use
Network Manager to control networking.  Where there is a software-
contorollable kill switch for wifi, NM can control that.

> Various web pages I have read based on this clue seem to imply that
> /usr/sbin/rfkill is a normal tool to have installed on a laptop, but it's
> not delivered by the netinst process and I don't think it's on CD-1 or
> DVD-1 either.
>
> Should task-laptop depend on rfkill?

I think task-desktop should recommend it.  (Many people use wireless
networking in desktop computers, and we added a recommendation of iw
there already.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program