Re: Boot Order

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 05:42:36PM -0500, Dan Norton wrote:
> I would hate to have to do something because windows does it :-)
>
> No one's yet mentioned secure boot as a justification. AIUI some
> manufacturers are making it so that you can't even disable secure boot.
> How will you multi-boot linux and windows, or replace windows entirely
> with such a machine?

Secureboot has nothing to do with it.  All secureboot means is that it
won't boot something that isn't signed by a trusted key.  So if enabled
you wouldn't be able to even boot the installer if it wasn't signed.

I have not yet seen a machine where you can't disable secureboot.
For Windows 8 it was a requirement to allow disabling it (but to have
it enabled by default) to get a Windows 8 Lego on the box.  I think
Windows 10 has the same requirement.  Now on some machines you have to
set a UEFI admin password before you get the option to disable secureboot
for some reason.

--
Len Sorensen