Re: Boot Order

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:18:00PM -0500, Dan Norton wrote:
> Installing either stretch or buster via netinst results in changes to
> the bios menu. Under "UEFI Boot Sources" the term "Hard Drive" is
> replaced with "debian" and this entry is put first in the boot order.
>
> The PC is:
> Hewlett-Packard HP Pro 3400 Series MT/2ABF, BIOS 7.16 03/23/2012
>
> Please tell me the justification for putting "debian" in the menu and
> having it boot first, ahead of CD/DVD/USB. Thanks.

With UEFI, adding an entry to the boot meny is what you do when you
install an OS you want to be able to boot.  UEFI does not rely on the
boot sector anymore the way legacy BIOS did.

Adding it first makes sense since why install it if you don't want to
use it?  Advanced users can always rearrange the order if they want
something else.  No way an installer could guess where in an existing
list to insert itself.  First is the only sane default option.

Having a system default to booting from USB or CD makes no sense and is
rather unsafe too.

Installing windows does the same thing, as it should.

--
Len Sorensen