Re: Boot Order

It seems Dan Norton has decided to selfishly make *his* spam problem
into everybody else's spam problem, and I've just had a bounce message
list of allowed senders. I refuse to pander to this - I guess he will
have to do without any help...

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 04:46:16PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 02:59:44PM -0500, Dan Norton wrote:
>>
>>After installing stretch, it changed to:
>>
>>UEFI Boot Sources
>>  debian
>>  ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
>>  USB Floppy/CD
>>  USB Hard Drive
>>Legacy Boot Sources
>>  [...]
>>
>>If done by firmware, wouldn't grub or the installer have to tell
>>the firmware to put "debian" in the bios menu and make it first? In its
>>past life, this PC ran Windows 7 but in order to boot from mountable
>>media there was no need for the user to change the boot order.
>
>You've been bitten by an unexpected change due to your PC's vendor
>doing crap setup, I'm afraid. For your setup to have worked, that
>means that you had a Windows setup using BIOS boot, but the BIOS set
>to boot UEFI first then BIOS second. If you want sensible dual boot
>with a BIOS-booting Windows, the best way to achieve that is to turn
>UEFI boot *off* in the BIOS setup so you have consistency between the
>two OSes. The installer even has code to check for this setup and
>offer you a chance to *not* install in UEFI mode if it detects traces
>of BIOS-booting OSes on your system.
>
>--
>Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
>  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
>  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
>  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
>  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer
"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html