Re: Mass bug filing for the removal of freetype-config and freetype.m4

Hi Hugh,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 11:53:50AM +0000, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> On Friday, 2 February 2018 11:14 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 at 11:07:42 +0000, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> >> Freetype-config has been considered deprecated for several years [1].

> > By us, or by upstream?

> Both.  We considered freetype-config a deprecated legacy interface back in
> 2011 [1].  Upstream also recommend using pkg-config over freetype-config
> in freetype-config(1).  In fact, freetype-config has used pkg-config as a
> wrapper since February 2017 [2].

> > Does Freetype's upstream developer consider AC_CHECK_FT2 to be deprecated
> > too?
> Not as far as I can tell. That said, I'm not against patching the m4 macro to
> use PKG_CHECK_MODULES if you believe it will be useful.

Since Freetype upstream has not formally deprecated AC_CHECK_FT2, it's a
hard sell to make a number of Debian packages instantly RC-buggy by making a
Debian-specific change to drop this interface.

I believe that making AC_CHECK_FT2 a wrapper around PKG_CHECK_MODULES is the
prudent path forward, which should also be upstreamable to Freetype (since,
as you say, the macro currently wraps a command that they consider
deprecated).

> > If we ask the upstream developers of various packages to make a change
> > because otherwise their package won't compile on Debian, some of them
> > will say "well, that's Debian's fault for removing APIs provided by
> > Freetype's upstream developer" and do nothing. If we ask them to make a
> > change because Freetype upstream has officially deprecated the macro/tool
> > they're using, or because otherwise their package (eventually) won't
> > compile against newer upstream Freetype releases, it seems more likely
> > to happen.

> > Not carrying long-term patches to the build systems of a large number of
> > packages seems a good goal.

> Good point. I'll file a bug upstream to ask them to drop freetype-config.
> In the meantime, I'll do the mass bug filing for Debian.

Thanks,