Re: Permission to commit and upload?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 04:52:08PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> (2017-10-09):
> > > I have a few pending patches that I'd like to commit and upload... but
> > > since I'm only an occasional d-i contributor, I would like to double
> > > check that nobody has any objection.
> > >
> > > My current list is:
> > > - #868848: debian-installer-utils
> > > - #868852: debian-installer: hd-media images
> > > - #868859: iso-scan and LVM
> > > - #868900: iso-scan: should be able to copy the ISO into RAM before mount
> > > - #875858: integrate unattended-upgrades in pkgsel
> > >
> > > The first four bugs are closely related (the first two are dependencies of
> > > the third) as they allow hd-media images to find an ISO image to use
> > > within a logical volume.
> >
> > I really want someone who's worked with the ISO/hd-media codepath in the
> > past to double check these. Earlier attempts at forcing these features
> > onto us weren't convincing, to say the least.

FWIW, this sort of strongly-worded but non-specific remark isn't
particularly helpful to other reviewers (or indeed to the patch
submitter, since it seems that they weren't the same person as was
working on similar features last time round); it leaves us with the
vague notion that something might be wrong, but no clue as to what.  If
you know more about the history of these features it would be good to
give us slightly more in the way of details.

> So I pushed and uploaded pkgsel 0.46 for #875858. For the remaining four
> bugs, I have nothing against a review but I hope it does not end up
> being stalled because nobody wants to review those changes. It's not clear
> to me who is that person. In the iso-scan changelog, you are the last
> non-translation committer and before that it was Otavio Salvador/Colin
> Watson in 2012... in the hd-media image definition, many people committed
> fixes for changes to udeb but I see no clear owner of that image either.
>
> Colin, could you review the patches I sent in the above bug reports and
> let me know if you think they are suitable to be committed ? You made
> similar changes to mine in debian-installer-utils and you have a broad
> knowledge of debian-installer.

I've left a few UX and code review comments in #868848, #868859, and
#868900.  Without having tried actually running them or anything, they
seem reasonable to me otherwise.

I don't see anything wrong with #868852, but I haven't done much with
image building for some years so I don't know if there are any size
concerns or whatever.  If that's not an issue then it's probably fine.