Re: Let's talk about conflicts and omissions in the udeb distribution

Hi,

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> (2017-10-12):
> On 2017-10-12 18:35, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> > Unpacking libkmod2-udeb (24-1) ...
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/depmod', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/insmod', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/lsmod', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/modinfo', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/modprobe', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/rmmod', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
> >
> > Do we need both implementations of modprobe tools? Should one of them
> > (kmod, busybox) stop building/shipping them? Or should those tools be
> > shipped in busybox-kmod-udeb and kmod-udeb?
>
> why is this on -devel and not -boot and why is this not in a bug?

Couldn't agree more.

> https://bugs.debian.org/871045 is somewhat related.

The kmod situation has been known for quite a while (see mklibs changes
over the year). The bug above was opened by Aurélien so that we don't
forget about possibly switching to using more busybox applets instead of
fixing kmod. Feel free to file a bug report in the meanwhile though.

This has been prompted by the recent interest of two kind developers who
stepped up to maintain busybox.

> > Ditto:
> > Unpacking wget-udeb (1.19.1-4) ...
> > dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> > dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wget', which is also in
> > package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1

AFAICT recent busybox's wget does HTTPS so we could think about dropping
wget-udeb. Defaulting to busybox's wget right now means archs without
wget's udeb (ISTR armel) still have wget (which wouldn't be the case
anymore if we were to drop the wget applet from busybox).

> > Also note that libkmod2-udeb does not actually ship libkmod.so.2... on
> > that note this:
> >
> > INFO: Using /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 as dynamic linker
> > INFO: library reduction pass 1
> > WARNING: Library libkmod.so.2 found in the default path
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
> > WARNING: Library libslang.so.2 found in the default path
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
> > WARNING: Library libnewt.so.0.52 found in the default path
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
> > WARNING: Library libgcc_s.so.1 found in the default path
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
> > INFO: library reduction pass 2
> > INFO: stripping and copying dynamic linker to
> > ..//lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

See first paragraph.

> > I've changed mklibs-copy to print a warning whenever libraries are
> > pulled from the host instead of the udeb.
> >
> > Shouldn't the all of the above be shipped in udebs? As in do we expect
> > .udebs to be selfcontained? I was a bit perplexed that libkmod2-udeb
> > does not ship shared library and thus system one is used which is
> > built differently.
> > (all of udeb is build without hardening, but deb library is built with
> > hardening)

There's what you would expect, and current state of affairs. It's been
worked on over the years (again, Aurélien has been working on this
topic), but I think we'll still release a few versions that aren't
prefect yet.

Of course, debian-boot@ is where d-i stuff happens; don't expect people
to be subscribed to debian-devel@ (which can be dropped from further