Re: Let's talk about conflicts and omissions in the udeb distribution

Hi,

On 2017-10-12 18:35, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
Unpacking libkmod2-udeb (24-1) ...
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/depmod', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/insmod', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/lsmod', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/modinfo', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/modprobe', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/sbin/rmmod', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1

Do we need both implementations of modprobe tools? Should one of them
(kmod, busybox) stop building/shipping them? Or should those tools be
shipped in busybox-kmod-udeb and kmod-udeb?

why is this on -devel and not -boot and why is this not in a bug? https://bugs.debian.org/871045 is somewhat related.

Ditto:
Unpacking wget-udeb (1.19.1-4) ...
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wget', which is also in
package busybox-udeb 1:1.27.2-1

Also note that libkmod2-udeb does not actually ship libkmod.so.2... on
that note this:

INFO: Using /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 as dynamic linker
INFO: library reduction pass 1
WARNING: Library libkmod.so.2 found in the default path /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ WARNING: Library libslang.so.2 found in the default path /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
WARNING: Library libnewt.so.0.52 found in the default path
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
WARNING: Library libgcc_s.so.1 found in the default path /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
INFO: library reduction pass 2
INFO: stripping and copying dynamic linker to ..//lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

I've changed mklibs-copy to print a warning whenever libraries are
pulled from the host instead of the udeb.

Shouldn't the all of the above be shipped in udebs? As in do we expect
.udebs to be selfcontained? I was a bit perplexed that libkmod2-udeb
does not ship shared library and thus system one is used which is
built differently.
(all of udeb is build without hardening, but deb library is built with
hardening)

Maybe you should file bugs and/or discuss this on -boot.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern