Re: Easier installer?

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 04:31:21PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst, on dim. 19 nov. 2017 16:12:13 +0100, wrote:
> > - That would require that at least part of the functionality that's
> >   already implemented in the other udeb (e.g., asking for username etc)
> >   be duplicated into the proposed new udeb. That seems like a waste.
>
> But the idea was precisely to reshape that question, to make it more
> beginner-friendly.

We can reshape questions reglardless of whether we implement the
overview screen that I'm talking about. Even if we don't implement the
overview screen, that would still be a step forward IMO. But in my
opinion, the killer feature in anaconda (Fedora's installer) is not the
way they present one particular bit of functionality, but the way in
which they present all their questions in a single screen. That means
having an overview screen, which to me is the higher priority.

If you disagree, I won't stop you from reworking the user creation
questions (there might be some room for improvement there), it's just
that to me we'll take a larger step forward if we implement the overview
screen.

> > - It would necessarily be somewhat limiting
>
> That's the idea of making a beginner frontend :)

True.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab