Re: Easier installer?

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 03:15:08PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Wouter Verhelst, on dim. 19 nov. 2017 15:03:03 +0100, wrote:
> > - Selecting a particular option in the overview screen causes the
> >   installer to configure the selected udeb, as though it was selected
> >   from the main menu.
>
> Mmm, do we really need to actually configure the udeb?  The way I see
> it, the overview screen would merely preseed debconf, and that's it.

That is another option, and I did consider it, but I see a few
downsides:

- That would require that at least part of the functionality that's
  already implemented in the other udeb (e.g., asking for username etc)
  be duplicated into the proposed new udeb. That seems like a waste.
- It would result in two parts that would need to be kept in sync.
- It would necessarily be somewhat limiting

As such, my train of thought was that it would be better to have the bit
that asks questions be shipped with the other udeb. Since that other
udeb will already have an implementation of "asking questions," and
since that implementation is called by configuring the other udeb, that
seems like the most straightforward way to get things rolling.

I do think it might be useful to revisit some of those other udebs in
light of the fact that they would be called from the overview screen,
and optimize them a bit for that, but that doesn't necessarily have to
be part of a first implementation.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab