Re: Busybox in Debian

On 11/08/17 14:13, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> In the mean time, please let us know if you have any questions.
> What is Debian using bbox for?

Hi Denys,

It's used principally in two places:

- It's bundled in the Debian Installer ramdisk and used as the shell,
bootstrap for D-I and its applets provide most functionality in the
installer environment.

- The default initramfs assembly system, initramfs-tools, incorporates
busybox into the initramfs and it's used until the root filesystem (and
/usr if separate) is mounted and can be pivot_rooted into. We also use
parts of klibc in the initramfs, and I'm not yet entirely clear what
tools in the initramfs are klibc tools, busybox applets or executables
copied from the running system.

There is also a statically linked package that may be useful for
rescuing a damaged system, but its use doesn't appear to be widespread.

As you can see it's actually a critical piece of the puzzle in Debian,
so we're keen to make sure someone is actively taking care of it now
rather than the Debian Installer and/or kernel teams chipping in now and
again to fix the worst of the bugs.

Cheers,
Chris

--