Re: Starting cups in debian installation with preseed

Hi,

Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> (2017-04-16):
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 11:34:41AM +0200, Laurent Besson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First excuse for my English, I'm french and it's no very good !
> >
> > Is possible to start a service as cups during installation with a preseed?
> >
> > I tried with :
> > /d-i preseed/late_command string in-target cupsd//
> > //d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target ; cupsd/
> >
> > /d-i preseed/late_command string in-target service cups restart//
> > //d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target ; service cups restart/
> >
> > But none works!

If you try anything like “chroot /foo; bar”, you create a shell in the
/foo environment, wait for it to return, THEN start the bar command.

You're not actually starting the bar command in the /foo chroot.

See synopsis in manpage: chroot [OPTION] NEWROOT [COMMAND [ARG]...]

It seems cupsd might be daemonizing itself automatically (based on a
quick look at its own manpage), but that could have been another issue
with starting services during the installation process.

> > In a console during installation, i tried : chroot /target ; cupsd
> > And it works!
> >
> > Where's the difference?

No, you typed chroot /target, which gave you a different shell, in which
you typed cupsd.

> If I recall correct are preseed late commands allready in target chroot.

That seems incorrect based on documentation:

    Template: preseed/late_command
    Type: string
     Shell command or commands to run in the d-i environment as late as possible

and based on code, see preseed_command and finish-install.d/07preseed in
src:preseed.

KiBi.