Re: Installing chapter in the release notes

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 09:45:24PM +0100, Baptiste Jammet wrote:
> Hi Vince,
>
> Dixit Vincent McIntyre, le 20/03/2017 :
>
> >> +<term>ifname instead of mac address</term>
> >Not having really worked with stretch yet (ie target audience member),
> >I'm had no real idea what this meant when I first read it.
> Found in the Alpha 1 release annoucement:
> https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2015/20150721
> linking to this thread:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/05/msg00170.html

Thanks for the background. I now see the terms 'ifname' and 'mac'
have special meanings in this context.

That's quite a thread to plow through but worth the read.
Round 2 is here

But I failed to find the final resolution of this on a mailing list,
the last word seems to be the Alpha 2 announcement
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2015/20150815

So let's take the version 2 proposal and try to work with that.

+<!-- new in Stretch-->
+<varlistentry>
+<term>New method for naming network interfaces</term>
+<listitem>
+<para>
+The installer and newly installed systems will use a different
+naming scheme for network interfaces instead of eth0, eth1 etc.
+The old naming method suffered from enumeration race conditions
+that made it possible for interface names to change unexpectedly
+and is incompatible with mounting the root filesystem read-only.
+The new enumeration method relies on more sources of information,
+to produce a more repeatable outcome. It uses the firmware/BIOS
+provided index numbers and then tries PCI card slot numbers,
+producing names line ens0 or enp1s1 (ethernet) or wlp3s0 (wlan).
+USB devices, which can be added to the system at any time,
+will have names based upon their ethernet MAC addresses.
+</para>
+<para>
+This change does not apply to upgrades of jessie systems,
+the naming will continue to be enforced by
+/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
+For more information, see /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz
+</para>
+</listitem>
+</varlistentry>

> I understand it as: Network interfaces will be named using their
> firmware/BIOS name, or their physical location, or using a static
> mapping (as before). This won't depend on the discoveriong order.
> This won't apply for the upgrade.
> (I see it as the /dev/hdXY -> UUID transition)

My suggested text above is far from the final word here
and I have questions:
 * Is it even accurate?
 * How are the firmware/BIOS and PCI slot methods that were discussed
   related to the NamePolicy methods in the udev file:
      NamePolicy=kernel database onboard mac
 * Is biosdevname still out of the picture?

Cheers
Vince

PS it would be nice to have a cumulative list of all changes (wiki?)
   as well as the debian-installer/News items. Happy to help with
   setting something up if I can.