Re: debootstrap InRelease file support

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> (2016-10-31):
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 06:41:44PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > This doesn't look exactly right; feel free to look at #842591.
>
> I wonder why sed and tr don't work in d-i given I checked the options
> used are all supposed to be posix compliant, unless I missed something.

I think a crucial point is that something's being documented in standards
doesn't mean it actually works in real life, everywhere, in all versions
of all implementations. (There's also the topic of possible differences in
interpretations.)

> > That's entirely correct. Running from within d-i is mandatory though…
>
> Well yes, that part should certainly work.

should → must

> Now why did GPG decide to throw away the last character in the input
> anyhow.  Such a stupid choice.

We're not here to discuss GPG choices, or bugs.

> So it does mean if it hsa InRelease signature, then you need head that
> supports negative offsets, so any decent linux system should be fine,
> and any recent busybox with enough advanced features.

We don't *need* head with negative offsets. That was just a random idea I
had at the time, which I checked to be working fine. The bug closure and
the committed implementation show there's no *need* for that…

KiBi.